As a nuget package this would rock.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Thanks for your work on this!

I've used the Nuget Server package to setup a corporate nuget feed; and I've used this installer here to setup a partnering private gallery.

Running an installer on a corporate web server (even an internal one) is not always an option, though.

Overall, a much easier way to distribute this would be as a nuget package - then you can also fix the MVC 4 dependency to the nuget package for that too - then users of the package can use the web deploy toolchain to release updates to the site internally.

Just a thought!
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM
+1
Feb 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Thanks for using the service, and for the suggestion. I'm not sure that Nuget is a good way of deploying web packages, but another option would be to use the Web Platform Installer (WebPI) to deploy it.
Feb 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM
For some, the installer might be perfect.
But for others (other environments) a nuget package is better. What if you don't have permissions to install something on server (like Zoltan said) or you have some shared hosting... Then you might need to "File > New Project > Add code > Publish" your way into setting this up.

I encourage you to take a look at how the NuGet team solved this with their NuGet.Server package.
It might not even be a lot of work to have your code be published in a package next of having it included in an installer.
http://docs.nuget.org/docs/creating-packages/hosting-your-own-nuget-feeds#Creating_Remote_Feeds

What makes this package easier:
  • the mvc prereq you have now can be solved with a dependency on the mvc nuget package
  • updates can be pulled in by updating the package (I updated nuget server recently that way)
I would look into this more myself, but I just had surgery on my dominant hand and can't really do much typing/work.
Mar 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM
I would definitely love to get this as a NuGet package. That way we can use our existing deployment pipeline to deploy the gallery service in just the same way we do with all the other web sites that we are hosting.